Friday, September 7, 2007

weird

In my new school, for some reason, i feel much more alienated from the students... disconnected. There is some inexplicable and ultimately irrational fear of getting too close. I still msn occasionally with my students from my neighbourhood school. I deny the existence of a msn account here.

I think there is a stronger sense of entitlement in the students here. They feel that they are entitled to certain things, with a strong sense of who is supposed to do what. "But you're supposed to do this! It's part of your job!" One NEVER hears this in other schools. In other schools, any 'extra' or additional help given, like remedial during recess, or staying back after school for remedial, is never taken for granted, here, its obligatory. Maybe its got to do with their family backgrounds. No one ever gave them anything, so any 'good deed' really seems like one. But of course that's overgeneralising.

1 comment:

Genghis said...

I totally agree with you mate. Teaching is more rewarding financially at the schools like the one you're in, but the intangibles seem higher in schools like the ones my friends are teaching in, the neighbourhood secondary and primary schools.